The College was established in the year 1975 as an extension of Gauri Pathshala Inter College (established in 1905). The primary aim of the establishment of this College in the thick locality of Malviya Nagar (Ahiyapur), the birthplace of Bharat Ratna Rajarshi Purshottam Das Tandon, Pt Madan Mohan Malviya and Pt. Bal Krishna Bhatt, was to educate and empower the girls of this area who were unable to go to the university for higher education.
In 1975 late Shri Hemwati Nandan Bahuguna ,the then chief minister of Uttar Pradesh in the International Year of Women opened five girls Degree College in Allahabad. To fulfil the dreams of RajarshiJi, his daughter-in-law late Smt Rani Tandon w/o late Prof. Sant Prasad Tandon established Rajarshi Tandon Mahila Mahavidyalaya. Late Justice Mahesh Prasad Mehrotraji, Late Smt Rani Tandonji and late Shri Hari Mohan Das Tandonji were founder members of the college. The College began with Hindi, Sanskrit, English, Education, Music (Instrumental) Music Vocal, Political Science, Economics, Ancient History and was affiliated to the University of Allahabad.
The College received grant in aid in 1984 by the efforts of Late Chaudhary Naunihal Singh, Late Sunit Vyas, Late Ashok Kumar Tandon, Late Kamla Prasad Mohile " Kunnan Guru". The College attained Central status and became a constituent College of the University of Allahabad in 2005 and received B grade by NAAC in the year 2005.